World of Hurt
World of Hurt
June 2-3, 2018
September 22-23, 2018
December 8-9, 2018
Instructor: Annie O'Connor
This two-day overview course covers information critical to the assessment, clinical reasoning and treatment of patients with musculoskeletal pain. Participants will learn how to assess and diagnosis pain mechanisms as it relates to the dominant peripheral and central nervous system mechanisms. A Pain Mechanism Classification System (PMCS) will be introduced, discussed, and applied to multiple pain paper/video case studies and/or live patient demonstrations. Peripheral Nervous system (PNS) neurodynamic evaluation and treatment will be discussed, demonstrated and practiced for peripheral neurogenic pain mechanisms including spasticity management. Central Nervous System (CNS) sensory and motor evaluation tests, patient rated outcome measures, psychometrics tools, and treatment strategies will be discussed, demonstrated, and practiced for all CNS pain mechanisms.
1) Differentiate subjective and objective clinical characteristics in nociceptive, peripheral neurogenic, central sensitization, affective and autonomic/motor pain mechanisms.
2) Apply pain mechanism & Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment classification principles to the neurological patient population.
3) Classify dominant pain mechanism and prescribe patient education and active care intervention to musculoskeletal and neurological patients.
4) Objectively score patient rated outcome measures using validated outcomes tools.
5) Effectively communicate pain education within a group model.
6) Effectively evaluate and treat Peripheral Nervous System, Neurodynamic, and Central Nervous System Sensorimotor Dysfunctions.
Who should attend:
Physical and Occupational Therapists, Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Medical Doctors, Psychologists, Athletic Trainers, Personal Trainers and any other practitioners who are involved in treating musculoskeletal pain
This course has been approved by the Illinois Physical Therapy Association for 14.75 CE Hours. Approval #647-7014
This content is not intended for use by participants outside the scope of their license or regulation.